(Source: Wikipedia: Breinig )
Breinig is a place in the German municipality of Stolberg (Rheinland), state of North Rhine-Westphalia.
Breinig was first mentioned in writing in 1303 as Bredenych, but the Romans already mined the deposits of zinc and lead ore present in the vicinity. Remains of celtic-roman blue limestone houses were found, as well as primitive melting furnaces. Breinig also lay close to the Via Belgica.
Since 817 Breinig has been part of the Münsterländchen, the crowning area of the imperial abbey Kornelimünster. It was looted by the Vikings in 881, and by the citizens of Aachen in 1310. At the end of the Thirty Years War, in 1648, the village was ransacked again. Since the zinc from the Erzgrube Breinigerberg was used in the preparation of brass, the village came to a certain wealth. As many as 700 people worked in the quarry and metallurgy. This ore extraction took place on a more industrial scale since the 2nd half of the 19th century, when the various quarries were merged. They went to a depth of 103 meters, but in 1883 the quarry closed and in 1921 the last shaft building was demolished. There was also the Ore quarry Cornelia, where up to 1920 iron ore was mined for the steel mills in Rothe Erde.
The Saint-Babara chapel was founded in 1731, and the Saint-Barbara church was erected on its site in 1852-1858. An earthquake occurred on February 18, 1756, destroying numerous homes.
In 1972 Breinig became part of the city of Stolberg.
Saint-Barbarachurch, in early neo-gothic style.
The historic village centre of Alt Breinig.